By Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen
Chen Poh Seng's nice grandfather lived in Pulau Tekong, his 50-over cousins have been born and trained there. He lived in Changi aspect that is half-hour away by way of ferry.
Lee Leong Sze is a Malaysian, graduated from the dep. of heritage, nationwide Chong Hsing college, Taiwan, got PhD in Singapore. researchers met in August 2005. They shared an analogous curiosity in learning the background of Pulau Tekong. through the learn, that they had complete aid and encouragement from former residents.
The e-book describes how Pulau Tekong Island constructed in the course of the early twentieth century. It describes the place the ethnic teams got here from, how they settled down, labored and lived jointly, and the connection between diversified ethnic teams, just like the Malay and chinese language (including Hakka and Chouchouese) through the years. ultimately, the publication reveals out how and why the villages vanished. the ultimate bankruptcy outlines the exceptional voters from Pulau Tekong and reports how they merged with the most circulation of Singapore society after leaving the offshore island.
- From Desolation to Prosperity:
- Development of Villages
- Life in Villages
- Composition and courting of Ethnic Groups:
- Ethnic constitution on Tekong Island
- Relationship among chinese language and Malays
- Ethnic dating inside Chinese
- The impression of global conflict II:
- Influence of global battle II on Tekong Island
- Tekong Island below British executive and Self-Governance
- The Sixties: A interval of Change
- The improvement of Tekong Island:
- Tekong Island lower than Singapore's Development
- The Disappearance of Villages on Tekong Island
- The Achievements of Former citizens of Tekong Island
Readership: scholar, specialist, normal public.
Read or Download A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore PDF
Similar asian history books
Halfway, the main well-known naval conflict in American background, has been the topic of many fantastic books. although, none satisfactorily clarify why the japanese misplaced that conflict, given their overwhelming virtue in firepower. whereas no e-book may possibly ever silence debate at the topic, halfway Inquest solutions the significant secret of the conflict.
Within the significant literature on early sleek Japan, the sakoku (closed state) edicts lurk within the history, and whereas students are commonly conscious of the foremost tenets of the coverage, for instance, the lack of eastern to commute out of the country or the clampdown on Christianity, the specifics of the edicts haven't begun to be studied intimately regardless of its power to bare a lot approximately this period of Japan's heritage.
Within the Tet Offensive of 1968, Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces introduced a big national assault on South Vietnam. notwithstanding the Communists didn't in achieving their tactical and operational pursuits, James Willbanks claims Hanoi received a strategic
Quick fiscal development has positioned India on the centre of present debates in regards to the way forward for the worldwide economic system. during this totally revised and up-to-date textual content, B. R. Tomlinson offers a complete and wide-ranging account of the Indian financial system over the past a hundred and fifty years. He units arguments approximately development, improvement and underdevelopment, and the impression of imperialism, opposed to an in depth heritage of agriculture, exchange and manufacture, and the kinfolk among company, the financial system and the country.
- Dara Shukuh Captive Visionary of His Times
- Journeys and Dwellings: Indian Ocean Themes in South Asia
- South Asia’s Modern History: Thematic Perspectives
- Games of life and land: A comparative analysis of the origins of true enclaves in South and Central Asia, their impacts on public policy, and factors prolonging ... and factors prolonging their existence
- Portuguese Encounters with Sri Lanka and the Maldives: Translated Texts from the Age of the Discoveries (Portuguese Encounters with the World in the Age of the Disco)
Extra info for A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore
A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore by Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen